- 6oz packaged rice noodles, or vermicelli
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 4 medium uncooked scallions, green and white parts, divided and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- Tbsp ginger root, minced
- 6oz uncooked lean beef round, or sirloin, trimmed of fat and diced
- 7 cups fat-free beef broth
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce<
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 cup froze green peas, baby size
Using sharp scissors, cut noodles into 3-inch (7.5 cm) pieces.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add white portion of onions, jalapeño and ginger and sauté 1 minute. Add beef and sauté until browned all over, 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and soy sauce and bring mixture to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 10 minutes (if necessary, skim fat from the surface during cooking).
Add noodles and peas and simmer until noodles are just tender, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add green portion of scallions, cilantro and pepper sauce. Serve hot.